Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Great start to a new day on the river

By Brandie Kessler
Sojourners go round a bend in the river.
Photo by Jayne O'Hare

Fifty-eight people are on the water today for day five of the Schuylkill River Sojourn, and seven of those people are on for their first day.
I think I can speak for everyone on the sojourn when I say the day couldn't be any more gorgeous.
We left from Pottstown's Riverfront Park this morning around 9:30 a.m., complete with a send off from a television crew shooting a documentary for American Milestones. The documentary will feature the Schuylkill River Heritage Area, as well as aspects of the Schuylkill River Trail and the Schuylkill River Sojourn. The crew who was in the park this morning didn't know when the documentary would air, but I hope to get that information in the future.
So once we got on the water, it was again a fantastic experience to float by places I've only ever seen on foot or by car.
We paddled under the Keim Street Bridge in Pottstown and the Route 422 bridge over the Schuylkill, which I immediately recognized. It was amazing how after passing under those two bridges, my only reference point from then on was the towers at Exelon Nuclear, which are often visible in the distance. It's really amazing how you're transported to a different place on the river.
The coolest thing immediately before our water stop in Trinley Park was a nice little bumpy ride courtesy of the former Vincent Dam (AKA Yankee or Linfield Dam).
I'm trying to get a video of my bumpy ride posted soon.
Ta Ta Till Lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment